Friday, May 3, 2013

Daily Inspiration: An Open Invitation

  One of the books I'm reading right now is  Captivating by John Eldredge.

       Yesterday I got through Chapter 12 and this struck me as something I needed to share.  At least to the women who read my blog!
       I have always been in love with fairytales - especially having grown up with Disney World in my backyard!
       In Chapter 12 of Captivating the author uses Cinderella, my all-time favorite Disney princess, to help readers understand the irreplaceable role of a woman.   
      I promise it makes a lot of sense.
      The story of Cinderella is one we all know and love. But what does the fate of Cinderella’s life rest on?
      An invitation to a ball.
      Here’s what John Eldredge had to say on this idea:
      Then, word from the Prince arrives – an invitation to a ball. It is at that point that all hell breaks loose. Her longings are awakened. Her enemies become enraged. And her life is never the same. As a woman, you don’t need to strive or arrange; you don’t need to make it happen. You only need to respond. Cinderella wanted to go. But it took courage not to abandon all hope even after she danced with the Prince. But she became the woman she was born to be, and the kingdom was never the same. It is a beautiful parable.
 
      The same holds true for Mary, the mother of Jesus – only it’s far, far more weighty. The angel came as the courier of the King. But still, she needed to say yes. He would not force the whole thing upon her. Her heart needed to be willing. She would need her heart through all that followed. Mary needed a steadfastness of heart to keep saying “Yes” to God. But she became the woman she was born to be, and the Kingdom was never the same. It all started with an invitation.
 
            How beautiful is that? Could you imagine if Mary would have said no to God?  Or if Cinderella would have said no to the ball?
            All of these questions made me think about the times I have said “No God. Not right now.” 
             I urge those reading this to think about the invitations God has presented to you.
             Have you said no to any of them? If so, think about why and open your heart to God.
             Pray that the next invitation that comes from Him you will open in pure joy!
             I think once we see how God is using us to further His kingdom – we will run to Him with a willing and grateful heart.

- LM
Resources: Captivating by John Eldredge

No comments:

Post a Comment