Monday, May 20, 2013

Daily Inspiration: John 21:15-17 Do You Truly Love Jesus?


In this passage, Jesus asks Peter THREE times if he loves Him. I couldn’t exactly figure out why this question was being asked at first.
Courtesy: Pinterest
I thought, of course Peter loved Jesus – like Peter said “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.” I thought much like Peter, Jesus who knows everything, would know if Peter truly loved Him. So then why does He ask?
Jesus asked Peter this because a true love for Christ is absolutely necessary to being a Christian.
Loving Jesus means putting Him first, before our wants and needs…before this world.
Simply being a “good” Christian or even a GREAT Christian by going to church, going to bible study, participating in church functions, not swearing and so on…doesn’t mean anything to God if we don’t really love Jesus with all our heart and soul.  
15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.” (John 21:15-17)

The reason Jesus asks Peter to care for the flock is because true LOVE is accompanied by ACTION.
Think about this: would your husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, ANYONE … think you really care about them if you never DID anything to show your love to them? I don’t think so. Someone who truly loves you DESIRES to show you.
That’s what Jesus wanted from Peter and that’s want He wants from us.
So do you truly LOVE Jesus?
The very first part of being a Christian is loving Jesus. Without loving Jesus we are tied to sin. We can do anything with the love of Jesus  but we can do nothing without it.
God Bless
- LM
Resources: carm.org

No comments:

Post a Comment